Monday, January 20, 2014

Mar has Kidney Stones

Dear Matt and Mar,

For the past few weeks Mar had twice developed urinal infection and that was the signal that something wasn't running properly. After the first bout of infection we'd just thought it was because she wasn't drinking enough water, and after it had cleared up we were ever so careful to make sure that she was drinking ample of water.

So I was flabbergasted when out of nowhere Mar developed another infection only one week after the first. The Dr. made it cleared from the first infection that Mar should have ultrasound just to make sure things were ok as a toddler don't usually develop this kind of infection (because they don't hold their number one).

So, today (18.01.14) as soon as I was off the plane, your mother called to tell me the result of the ultrasound. Mar now has a stone in each of her kidney, one is 0.5 mm and the other 0.9 mm. Well I was trying my hardest not to go all crazy, especially when I was sitting on the rail-link travelling into the city center :-) haa haa haa.

The train ride took about 40 minutes, and at the end of the journey I had googled enough to have a small peace of mind. Naturally one starts to think, what did we do wrong to cause this... of course all sorts of 'this' and 'that' could have caused it, but of course we could never pinpoint it to something concrete.

For me, I think it was because Mar hasn't been drinking enough water, so from now on we are going to make sure she is constantly fluidified (not a real word... haa haa haa).

Today (20.01.14), Mar had just met with the specialist, and my heart sank a little, the stones are transparent, meaning these are not normal stones and more tests will be required. So right now Gio and Mar are now still at the hospital, they have been sent back to Mar's usual doctor from the specialist. It looks like the tests to come will be quite extensive, they will certainly begin with a blood test, Matt had a blood test once and it was not an experience I want Mar to go through, but it is unavoidable.

From my research there are two possible type (probably more), either Uric stones or Cystine stones. I am keeping my finger crossed that it is Uric type, if that is the case then we shall have to be more strict on Mar's diet (less purine) and plenty of water.

Another thing that is bothering me is that the specialist does not want to remove the stones, saying to your mother that it will be quite a harrowing operation... now that I don't understand... I am now thinking of a second opinion.

So I'll find out more this evening... :-) love you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments :)